Friday, August 12, 2011

How a US Citizen can file a case for false imprisonment in Kuwait?

I am a US Citizen and during a business trip to Kuwait I was stopped by the Kuwaiti border officers on basis of a seven years INTERPOL Red Warrant issued by the US government. The INTERPOL warrant was issued on basis of a criminal case which was dismissed by the US federal court three years ago and consequently the warrant was vacated. For so many times I was stopped and questioned during my entry to the US and each time I request from the federal prosecutor to take necessary action to remove the warrant from the system. As I thought things were removed I was again stopped in Kuwait, transferred in a police car to be jailed during the weekend until delivered to the Kuwaiti INTERPOL during working days. I contacted the afterhours telephone number for our embassy in Kuwait and was able to reach, after several attempts, the duty officer who advised me that cannot do anything until after the weekend and then I have to contact the Citizen services. My wife in the US spoke with the State Department and confirmed that it is an error and that there is NO warrant what so ever for me. Still the duty office DID NOTHING. I had to call some Kuwaiti friends who through contacts were able to release me on my passport guarantee and him bailing me. I was asked to return back to the Kuwaiti criminal INTERPOL unit early morning on the first business day in Kuwait. I did and they apologized that it was an error and there is nothing against me and it is just that the system at the border is not updated (three years old warrant been canceled). I took my passport while I have a flight in few hours and headed to our embassy in Kuwait, I showed them at the door my passport and informed them of the emergency I had and requested to file a report. The Consul refused to admit me to the embassy, acknowledged he/she knew about the case and request that I schedule an appointment through the embassy web page despite me telling them I have a flight in few hours. I am just disappointed for the type of Counselor protection US citizen receives overseas and I need help to find out what I can do to protect my rights. For all this humiliation and agony my family and I has to go through, Do I have a case against the State Department for not taking appropriate measure to remove the warrant as the case got dismissed three years ago and for their incompetency to provide a citizen consular protection? Do I have a case against the Kuwaiti government for failing to update their system at the borders and for false imprisonment? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment